Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fabric Silhouettes

This week's tutorial is something I found on the Martha Stewart website.  I was expecting to see a video how-to but only saw the written instructions.  So with that, I decided to take the steps and use my own photos to show how to make a painted fabric silhouette.  Martha's instructions are found here.

Here are the items that you need:

-A template for the silhouette you would like to use.  I used Martha's wren, but you could use anything you'd like, or even freehand your own.

-canvas, size of your choice.
-paint
-paint brush
-fabric enough to fit wrapped around to the back side of the canvas.
-staple gun
-tape
-pencil
-scissors
-mod podge



To begin I tried cutting some corners from Martha's directions because I was extremely tight on time.  I was trying to get this project done while my baby napped.  I was not successful but that was because my baby doesn't like to nap in his bed so he realized he was alone shortly after I put him in bed.

I decided to lightly cover the canvas with the Mod Podge and then place the fabric on it and around the back.  I used a piece of twill fabric that I had leftover in my scrap pile.  I skipped using a staple gun because I was lazy.  I do suggest for long term quality of this that you make sure the fabric is secured with more than just the Mod Podge.  You must also make sure that the fabric gets stretched from opposite corners and that you don't have any wrinkles in the fabric. 


Once my fabric seemed secure and stretched properly I put another thin layer of Mod Podge all over the fabric to help keep it secured and also create a slightly glossy look. I then cut out the center of my template and placed the paper on top of the fabric.  Once it is where you would like it to be I recommend taping the paper in place along the sides.  I did not tape mine and knew the consequences if the paper moved. (You may trace your stencil onto the fabric, or just leave the paper on and paint over it).   I think I have heard that you can sometimes wipe paint off with a washcloth if you make a mistake as long as you have the layer of Mod Podge on the fabric.  I didn't need to test this theory and hopefully you won't have to either.


Next I started to paint.  I began dabbing the paint on the legs and feet first since they were the smallest area and I didn't want to mess up.  I was careful not to put too much paint on at once either.  I just kept dabbing on more paint as needed. 






Once the outline was finished then I filled in the middle.  I also decided to make mine a little more colorful and add some vignette to the corners. 




There are so many things you could add to the canvas to make it unique.  I would love to go back and add some metallic paint on top of the corners, or even glue on a little quote.  So for now I have put my little artwork on a shelf in my sewing room.  This whole project took me less than an hour to do and I know I will be making more for other areas of my house.  Never would have thought I could decorate so easily and inexpensively.




Hope you liked this week's tutorial.  Stop by next week for something new.
Written by Robin of My Little Lady and Gentleman


1 comment:

  1. This is so neat! Thanks for sharing this. It's a great idea for affordable, fun, and unique decorating!

    ReplyDelete